Updated: 7 September 2021
To our customers and community,
We are thrilled to announce that Dark Sky Project will re-open from Thursday 9 September under Alert Level 2. We can't wait to welcome manuhiri back to Dark Sky Project.
Please find further information below for how Dark Sky Project operates under all alert levels.
COVID-19 Alert Level Operating Procedures
Level 4: Temporarily closed.
Level 3: Temporarily closed.
Level 2: Open with restrictions;
- Mandatory scan-in on arrival.
- Mandatory mask use for all kaimahi (staff) and manuhiri (visitors). Free masks will be available onsite.
- All manuhiri (visitors) to keep 2 metres apart at all times, both indoors and outdoors where possible, unless you are within the same bubble.
- All kaimahi (staff) to keep at least 1 metre apart where possible.
- ECW (Extreme Cold Weather) jackets will not be provided under level 2. Please come prepared.
- Outdoor tours are restricted to 11 guests and indoor tours to 13 guests to observe social distancing restrictions.
- The Rehua building (Dark Sky Project base building) is limited to 50 people including staff at all times.
Level 1: Open without restrictions.
If you have any existing bookings affected by COVID-19, we will make contact with you to transfer your ticket to another date, switch to an open dated ticket or offer a full refund. Alternatively please email email@example.com for assistance.
Q: Do I have to wear a mask on the Dark Sky Experience/Summit Experience/Crater Experience Private Charter?
A: Yes, mask use is mandatory indoors and outdoors during all of our experiences at Dark Sky Project for anyone over the age of 12, masks will be available on site. Any manuhiri (visitor) who refuses to wear a mask will not be permitted.
Q: I’m based in Auckland and can no longer make my trip, can I get a refund?
A: Yes, any bookings affected by COVID-19 can be refunded, moved to another date or open-dated. For all other bookings our standard terms and conditions apply.
Q: What cleaning procedures are in place to ensure a safe environment?
- All our customer facing areas are cleaned regularly during the day.
- All telescopes' eyepieces are wiped after every customer (or bubble) by the guide.
- Hand sanitizer is available at the entrance of 16" dome.
- Astro Café door handles are wiped after every tour together with inside chairs.
- Lanyards sanitized between each tour.
- Seats & seat handles cleaned before a vehicle is used.
For additional information about COVID-19 please refer to the Unite Against COVID-19 website or if you have symptoms call the NZ COVID-19 Healthline free on 0800 358 5453.
Jared Simcox - Business Manager
Dark Sky Project